State Enterprise “TajikNIIGiM” (State Enterprise Research Institute of Water Engineering and Amelioration Tajikistan) was established on March 30, 1978, by decree of the Minister of Water Resources of the USSR as a branch of VNIIGiM name after A.N. Kostyakova Ministry of Water Resources of the USSR. In 1994, the institute was transformed into a scientific and production association SPA “TajikNIIGiM”, and then in 2007 it was given the status of a State Enterprise (State Enterprise “TajikNIIGiM”).
Since March 03, 2014 by the decree of the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan No. 149, State Enterprise “TajikNIIGiM” operates under the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan.
Main Achievements of the Institute
Below are the main achievements in the scientific and practical activities of the institute:
- An improved technology for irrigation of agricultural crops has been developed on the basis of optimization of irrigation regimes and programming of the crop, which allows reduce the loss of water and fertilizers by 10-20%, increase labor productivity up to 25% and yield up to 20%.
- A differentiated technology of soil loosening has been developed, which allows improving the water-physical properties of the soil, ensuring water savings up to 15%, increasing the yield up to 40% and increasing soil fertility.
- The optimal reclamation regimes of irrigated lands and drainage parameters have been established to reduce the level of groundwater and soil Stalinization in order to increase the yield of agricultural crops.
- A feasibility study has been developed for the use of reclamation measures during the reconstruction of irrigation systems.
- The “Regulation on the introduction of payments for the services of water operating organizations for water supply” was developed. Measures have been developed to improve the ecological and reclamation state of irrigated lands in the Becket valley.
- The optimal regime of irrigation and water consumption of winter and spring wheat in the conditions of high-mountainous Badakhshan has been established.
- A technology has been developed for the cultivation of major agricultural crops with energy-saving non-traditional irrigation methods (in cooperation with the SPA Zemledeliye).
- The optimal irrigation regime and the density of the corn stand for drip irrigation have been developed.
- The technology of drip irrigation of medium-fiber and fine-fiber cotton using film mulch has been developed in the conditions of Central Tajikistan.
- The technology of on-farm water use has been developed in the stony soils of Northern Tajikistan.
- A comparative assessment of the productivity of winter wheat (1st crop) with micro irrigation and buckwheat (2nd crop) under the conditions of Central Tajikistan has been investigated.
- An assessment of the current state is given and recommendations for increasing the efficiency of using pump irrigated lands are developed.
- Resource-saving systems of operational and long-term planning have been developed and implemented under existing and prospective technologies for irrigation of agricultural crops in the context of reforming the water economy of Tajikistan
- A study of the issues of stability of collector-drainage networks of irrigated lands in Tajikistan was carried out and recommendations were developed to improve their reclamation state.
- The Institute has developed and published:
“Materials of generalization of the State accounting of water use in the Republic of Tajikistan for 2002-2005. Dushanbe – 2010, 50 pg.
“Materials of generalization of the State accounting of water use in the Republic of Tajikistan for 2006-2009. Dushanbe – 2010, 33 pg.
“Materials of generalization of the State accounting of water use in the Republic of Tajikistan for 2010-2011. Dushanbe – 2012, 20 pg.
“Materials of generalization of the State accounting of water use in the Republic of Tajikistan for 2011-2012. Dushanbe – 2013, 30 pg.
- Scientific principles, guidelines and instructions for maintaining the State cadastre and forms of publishing published information “2TP-Vodkhoz” (2006-2010) have been developed;
- Measures have been developed for land reclamation with a close occurrence of the level of fresh groundwater for sustainable crop production (on the example of the Gissar valley) (2006-2010);
- Based on the results of the Study of the Issues of Operation of Irrigation Systems in Conditions of Paid Water Use, appropriate recommendations were developed (2006-2010);
- According to the results of research work “Development and implementation of equipment and technology for irrigation of agricultural crops for the natural and climatic conditions of the Gissar valley and Sughd region” (2006-2010), the following results were achieved:
-the parameters of drip irrigation of cotton with the use of film mulch were optimized, production tests were carried out in the conditions of Central Tajikistan;
– -the elements of equipment and technology for irrigation of vegetable crops were improved with various methods of irrigation in the conditions of the Gissar valley;
– -studied the leaching regimes of saline and waterlogged soils and irrigation of cotton on lands with nearby groundwater;
- The “Regulation on the State Inspectorate for the Regulation of Relations between Water Management Bodies and Water Users” has been developed.
- Developed “Guidelines for monitoring the reclamation state of irrigated lands in Tajikistan” (2010)
- Developed “Recommendations for the use of new methods of irrigation of agricultural crops in the conditions of the Dangara valley” (To the project “Irrigation of the lands of the Dangara valley, phase 2”).
- A recommendation for drip irrigation of cotton has been developed (2011).
- Scientific and practical principles for the rehabilitation of irrigation systems have been developed (on the example of the Great Gissar Canal) (2011-2015).
- The ways of increasing the access of the population of the Republic of Tajikistan to drinking water (2011-2015) were investigated.
- Developed water and energy saving technologies for irrigation of the main agricultural in a market economy in Republic of Tajikistan (2011-2015).
- Demonstration plots for water-saving irrigation technologies for row crops, orchards and vineyards have been created in the conditions of Central Tajikistan.
- Agro-forestry-reclamation methods of soil reclamation of the irrigated zone of the Republic of Tajikistan (2011-2015) have been developed.
- Developed “Guidelines on Differentiated Tariffs for Services for the Supply of Water from State Irrigation and Watering Systems in the Republic of Tajikistan (2010).
- The basin structure of the Great Gissar Canal for effective water resources management and mechanisms for applying the IWRM principles have been developed.
- “Recommendations for the institutional reform of the water sector of the Republic of Tajikistan” were developed.
- The Institute developed a draft Law of the Republic of Tajikistan “On Water Users Associations” and submitted it to the Ministry for further legislative initiative to the Government and the Parliament of the country (2006).
- The Institute participated in the development of the “Concept for the rational use and protection of water resources”, which was approved by the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan (2002).
- The Institute participated in the development of projects of the Interstate Agreement on the rational use of water and energy resources of the Amudarya and Syrdarya river basins (2006-2009).
- The Institute participated in the development of the draft “Strategy for the Development of the Water Sector in Tajikistan” (2006, 2010).
- Developed “Recommendations for the effective use of lands with a close occurrence of fresh groundwater” (2011).
Developed “Recommendations for the application of technology for drip irrigation of crops” (2013).
- The Institute participated in the development of the document “Third National Communication of the Republic of Tajikistan on the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (2013).
- Scientists of the institute have more than 30 patents for inventions. Of them
The most used in production conditions: “Drip irrigation system” (patent No. 854327) (2006); “Sprinkler irrigation system”, (patent No. TJ-14, 1997); “Nozzle (nozzle) of water spraying for irrigation of lawns and flower beds in the city of Dushanbe”, (patent No. TJ-8, 2007) “; “Water elevator-tubular water meter”, (patent No. TJ-15, 2007); “A new method of irrigation along the furrows”, (patent No. 250, 2004);
Sealing the banks of open channels to reduce water filtration ” (TJ patent No. 158);
- For the period 2005-2015 State Enterprise “TajikNIIGiM” prepared 8 candidates and doctors of science, more than 10 young scientists are engaged in research activities and 3600 people completed refresher courses on water and agricultural issues.
Implementation of research works
The results of research work have been introduced in the water and agricultural sector of the Republic of Tajikistan:
-The results of research and development work were introduced in the dekhkan farm “Pobeda” in the Rudaki district on an area of 600 hectares;
-Experimental production sites for synchronous-pulse sprinkling began to operate in the inter-farm enterprise named after Frunze, Gissar region, on the collective farm named after Lenin of the Kolkhozabad region, in the Khovaling agro-industrial association, then, based on the results of the research, the operating conditions of the systems were established;
-A production test of the new irrigation technology showed that when a crop is close to the programmed one (deviation up to 10%), labor and irrigation water costs are reduced.
-The results of research work on the topic “Differentiated technology of irrigation of cotton along through furrows with the use of flexible irrigation pipelines” have been introduced. Irrigation was carried out on 3500 hectares and showed that the efficiency of irrigation technique increases to 0.7-0.85, KZI to 1-1.5%, the discharge of irrigation water is reduced by 5-6 times and the increase in the yield of raw cotton is 2-4 c / ha.
After the acquisition by the republic in 1991 State independence, the socio-economic, environmental and political situation has changed. And in the market conditions of the national economy of Tajikistan with intensive water use on water bodies, the issues of rational use of water resources are put forward among the most important problems of the department.
The main results of scientific research of the Land Reclamation Department:
-subsurface drip irrigation of cotton, which allows to increase productivity and reduce the cost of irrigation water by 1.5-2 times;
– the optimal mode of pre-irrigation soil moisture in fruiting lemon has been established, which allows to obtain an increase in yield up to 10-20% and an economy of irrigation water up to 15%;
-the optimal regimes of irrigation of grapes have been developed for subsurface and furrow irrigation. In comparison with furrow irrigation, the yield of grapes increases up to 30%, water costs are reduced up to 45%;
-basic requirements and technologies of irrigation for programming the cotton crop have been developed. The technology has been introduced on an area of more than 20 thousand hectares, while the yield increases by 2-6 c / ha;
-the use of synchronous-impulse sprinkling on steep lands made it possible to obtain a yield of green mass of alfalfa up to 800-900 c / ha (or 16-18 tons of fodder units) and a yield of raw cotton up to 43 c / ha;
Advanced drainage and refinement of its parameters:
-highly effective measure to prepare highly saline lands for development without leaching;
-capital flushing costs are excluded;
-the alienation of land for leaching and the period of development is reduced by a year;
-saving of irrigation water 20 thousand m3 / ha is achieved;
-the depth of filling drains decreases by an average of 0.5 m;
-the depth of filling drains decreases by an average of 0.5 m;
-drainage flow modules have been determined.