In the period from June 10-13 of this year, four trainings on “IWRM: theory, practice and prospects in the river basins of the Republic of Tajikistan” were organized and conducted. The training was conducted at each watershed of the Aksu-Isfana-Tomchasai-Khojabakirgan-Arkasai sub-basins. This means four trainings, one at each watershed. During the training, participants were selected to represent the zone in the basin dialogue, discussion and conduct this training. The training participants represented all stakeholders of the watershed and water users, similar to the participants in the basin dialogue. In all an average of 40-45 participants per training. The total number of training participants was over 165 people.
- The purpose of the project was the formation, essence, significance and necessity of IWRM among stakeholders and water users in the basin as a basis for the development of the IWRM process in the river basins of the Republic of Tajikistan (on the example of the Syrdarya river basin), as well as improving knowledge of water sector specialists on IWRM to implementation the Program “Water Sector Reform for 2016-2025”.
- The first steps of the training: Creation of a training module on IWRM: theory, practice and perspectives in the river basins of the Republic of Tajikistan. A training module has been created with the presentation of information on the reform of the water sector in Tajikistan, including information on the active role of the President of the Republic of Tajikistan and the MEWR at the international level on this topic in accordance with the Water Sector Reform Program for 2016-2025.
- Also, a session on the basic theory of IWRM was included in the training module, starting with the history of the emergence of the value of IWRM, the conference in Dublin and Rio, principles and their implications, etc.
- Theoretical part: In the first session, a theoretical part was carried out including basic IWRM terminology, such as hydrological cycle, basin, water-parting, watershed, water balance, water distribution plan, etc.
- World experience (practice): In the second session of the training, the experience of international practice was considered, that is, examples of IWRM reform in individual countries, such as Europe, Asia, America, Australia, were given. It should be noted that on this topic of the second session, experts developed and presented their presentations on international IWRM practice and experience in different regions of the world.
Realization and implementation of IWRM in Tajikistan, as well as work in groups: Having a theoretical basis and information about international practice, the third session was devoted to work in groups, where participants discussed the prospects for IWRM reform in the Republic of Tajikistan on the example of water resource zones of the Syrdarya river basin, where the issues were critical and important to the success of this reform. Upon completion of the work in the groups, the groups presented their presentations in the plenary session, where the participants decided the most important water issues and ways to solve them.
It should be noted that the general idea of conducting trainings is that further reform of IWRM in Tajikistan requires a common understanding of what IWRM means in theory and what in practice. This will be the basis for water sector specialists to start talking about further implementation of IWRM in the river basins of the Republic of Tajikistan.
During these trainings, the most important water topics were considered in detail, such as:
- Familiarization of training participants with basic knowledge on water and the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Introductory familiarization of the participants with basic knowledge of the history, definition and principles of IWRM;
- Familiarization of the participants with the management of the water cycle, basin and watershed;
- Performance of training participants with trans-boundary water cooperation;
- Detailed familiarization of the participants on climate change and disaster risk reduction (DRR);
- Consideration of IWRM implementation in Europe (ВРД, France, Spain, Portugal and etc.);
- Detailed familiarization of the participants with the application of IWRM in America;
- Consideration of implementation of IWRM principles in Central Asia;
- Familiarization of the training participants on the application of IWRM in Tajikistan;
- Introductory familiarization to the Water Sector Reform Program for the period 2016-2025;
- Consideration of legislative aspects for the development and implementation of basin plans in the Republic of Tajikistan;
- Detailed presentation of participants with Basin Institutions and management tools;
- Familiarization and interconnection of IWRM with Science.